FTC Funeral Rule
All “funeral providers” must comply with the Federal Trade Commission’s Funeral Rule. You are a funeral provider if you sell or offer to sell both funeral goods and funeral services to the public.
The Funeral Rule requires you to give consumers accurate, itemized price information and various other disclosures about funeral goods and services. In addition, the Rule prohibits you from:
- misrepresenting legal, crematory, and cemetery requirements;
- embalming for a fee without permission;
- requiring the purchase of a casket for direct cremation;
- requiring consumers to buy certain funeral goods or services as a condition for furnishing other funeral goods or services;
- engaging in other deceptive or unfair practices